So January did not see some of the additions that I was hoping for. Additionally, the average player count seems to have dipped down a bit. I think this is likely due to the fact that many players are going back to school this month. I have been busy with my job still lately, but that hasn't stopped me from working on the server and game in my free time. January saw many more bug-fixes and optimizations into the game. The server currently has no major known bugs that can crash the server. There are likely still some in the game, but overall the game is somewhat stable now.
I still have a very large to-do list. That list has stopped growing lately and I think there are some opportunities to start reducing it by working on projects one at a time. Carrying on over from last month, some of the projects I would like to see enter the game would be dinosaurs, fossils, DNA, and cloning. This is a concept that would be fun to match our new biome, a primordial underground jungle.
I'm confident that the players will return once they ease into their routines in school and get some time for recreation. Please continue to share the game and community with your friends. It also helps when you report bugs, make suggestions, and contribute code and ideas.
CHANGE-LOG FOR FEBRUARY
- Added orienteering tools: adds tools like GPS, depth meters, and more to help players measure where they are in the world. Not sure if this is a great addition or not. Seems helpful. Maybe limit it to a few and remove redundant items like the compass. It would also benefit from higher quality textures.
- Update bell mod again for some bugfixes.
- update commoditymarket
- added deathcompass: if you carry this on you when you die, you will have a compass when you respawn to show you where your bones are.
- update dfcaverns
- update nether
- update dynamic_liquid
- update radiant_damage
- update settlements
- update namegen_mod
- fix some of the christmas_holiday_pack recipes to use mobs_creatures instead of mobs_animals butter. It might be a good idea to add some alias compatibility so players can use either mod for crafts.
- Add signs mod by @MisterE : Adds basic letter blocks which are made from creating carbon blocks. They can be painted with letters using white dye and used to make giant signs on buildings and such.
- Removed the Mimic (chest-like) mob. I've decided not to use it as its a bit of a tired trope in traditional fantasy games that feels a bit too cheesy for me. It had some technical issues that were making it a bit of a challenge to implement. It was supposed to fool players into thinking it was a chest but that functionality was never properly implemented. Maybe it could have be a good mob, but I just didn't feel like it was as good quality as some of the others. What do you think?
- Changed from Simplecraft_lib to sfinv and craftguide mods. SimplecraftingLib is not registering recipes still and is not being updated. The new version of craftguide mod requires version 5.1 or higher of Minetest. This may be an issue for some players who use Linux repositories or Android repositories which may not be on this version yet. Long term, this should work out OK, but in the short-term, right now, this will be a problem for some players. Please try to update. If you are on Android, consider using the version from the F-Droid repository, which is a free software / open source repository for Android apps. https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.minetest.minetest/ If you are on Linux, consider using backports, PPA, or some form of appimage or flatpak until your distribution has a newer version. You could also compile from source-code as well.
- Fixed Demon Eye particles. I will need to fix the particles for several other mobs as well.
- Disabled the druid staff and staff of earth until a critical bug with the druid staff can be fixed.
- Updated settlements to a version that is meant to patch bookgen crashes.
- Updated deathcompass
- I believe I've fixed the final druid staff bug. I've reenabled the tomes and staffs in the game because of this fix.
- Readded teleporter pads.
- re-enabled goblins.
- Added orbs of time: An item that can be crafted from runes and can control time through day and night cycles.
- Added hoppers, adds expiremental hoppers and sorters to the game
- Added autocrafting workbench: can be used to specify and automatically craft recipes.
- updated magma_conduits.
- update craftguide
- add achievements: awards are given for certain things in the game. you will get a notification. Its not really a super useful feature, its fun for some and its a bit cute. I thought I would try it again and get feedback from players on it.
- re-enabled rain light detection (sound fades when you go inside buildings or underground) and attempt to fix rain light detection arithmetic on nil error.
- increase rain fall speed and increase rain particle amount.
- Add blacklist items for Staff of Earth (seems to not work though).
- update craftguide, update dfcaverns, subterrane, mapgen_helper, named_waypoints
- add torch_bomb mod
- add lavastuff mod
- update and change smoke mod, added smoke on torches
- added clothing mod back into the game
- switched skin system back to skinsdb and will be updating this with basic survival base skins soon.
- add footprints mod.
- re-add emoji mod
- removed meseportal
- nether update with new portals api and fast travel feature.
- remove luckportal
- fix compass recipe for realcompass
- add 24hr clock